Licensed Practical Nurse since 1991
Minneapolis Community and Technical College
- Practical Nursing Program, Honors Graduate, 3.51 GPA (1990)
- Over 90 quarter credits completed by 1995, including all general education requirements
for an AS /Nursing degree: General Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Pharmacology for nurses, Child
Psychology, English composition, public speaking, etc., plus 'supervisory management' and other electives.
- GPA above 3.0 for AS/N general education requirements & for all courses.
- Legal Nurse Consulting (link to course description) 2005
- Supervisory Skills for Nurses (30 contact hours) 1994
- Nursing and Malpractice Risks: Understanding the law (30 contact hours) 1995
- EKG Interpretation (10 contact hours) 1998
- Diabetes Nursing Care: Overview and management (30 contact hours) 2002
Pediatric Home Services (2004)
- Respiratory Assessment with Breath Sounds (2 contact hours)
- Bronchial Drainage [skills] (1 contact hour)
- Anatomy of a tracheostomy Tube (2 contact hours)
- LP 10 ventillator (2 contact hours)
- Continuous flow for the LP 10 (1 contact hour)
- Auxiliary Equipment objectives (4 contact hours)
- 20 years experience providing direct patient care in nursing homes, hospitals and private homes
(including experience as a nursing assistant and as a charge nurse).
- Extensive experience caring for patients with complex needs and with patients diagnosed
as having Insulin Dependent Diabetes, heart and lung diseases, dementias, and psychiatric disorders.
- Over 9 years experience as a charge nurse / team leader in nursing homes, with overall responsibility
for management of patient care, including care plan implementation and review; monthly review of medical charts;
medical monitoring; documentation of health problems; communication with doctors, nursing personnel and families; medication
administration; and monitoring the performance of other nursing personnel.
- Legal and Medical Research for an attorney, (occasional, part-time) 1992-1994
- Experience as a union shop steward, bargaining committee member, and greiver
- Freelance news reporter: Pulse of the Twin Cities, Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder
- K-12 Education, public policy advocacy, author of "Coleman Report"
(edited by University of Washington Faculty)
- See writings
Spanish & French: Fluent reader, intermediate-level speaker / writer
Carefocus Corporation, St. Louis
Park, MN 2004-2005 (18 months)
Hayes Residence St. Paul, MN 2000-2003
- Charge Nurse. A 40 bed board and care facility.
A majority of clients had psychiatric diagnoses.
Twin City Linnea Home St. Paul, MN 1996-1999
- Charge nurse. 70 bed board & care facility.
Light nursing care.
Lynnhurst Health Care Center St. Paul, MN 1992-1995
- Charge nurse. 76 bed nursing home. Light to
very heavy nursing care.
Walker Methodist Health Center Minneapolis,
- Staff nurse (Medication/Treatment, direct
care, or charge) 11 nursing units, about 490 beds.
Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Minneapolis,
MN 1990-1991 (6 months)
- Graduate Practical Nurse (Primary care). Medical